Trump Strikes Syrian Base in Wake of Chemical Attack
Analysis and commentary about Donald Trump’s first direct military action against Bashar al-Assad.
- American cruise missiles struck a Syrian air base near Homs early on Friday from which the United States said a chemical attack had been launched earlier in the week.
- It was the first direct American military action against the regime of President Bashar al-Assad in six years.
- President Donald Trump announced the attack from his Florida resort, Mar-a-Lago, where he was meeting with his Chinese counterpart, Xi Jinping.
- The Syrian army said six of its people were killed in the attack.
- Russia, Assad’s ally, condemned the strike as an act of aggression.