Skip to content
- Queen Elizabeth II has accepted David Cameron’s resignation as prime minister and asked Theresa May to form a new government.
- May won the leadership of Britain’s ruling Conservative Party, and hence the prime ministership, by default on Monday when her last rival withdrew.
- She immediately fired George Osborne, Cameron’s deputy, and named Philip Hammond as chancellor.
- Boris Johnson, who led the campaign to take Britain out of the European Union, now takes Hammond’s place as foreign secretary.
- May also appointed David Davis as minister for Brexit. He will presumably lead the negotiations for Britain’s withdrawal from the EU.