Skip to content
- The French voted in the first round of their presidential election on Sunday.
- The centrist Emmanuel Macron placed first with 24 percent support, followed by nationalist party leader Marine Le Pen at 21.3 percent.
- The center-right Republican candidate, François Fillon, the far-left Jean-Luc Mélenchon and the ruling Socialist Party’s Benoît Hamon were eliminated from the contest.
- A runoff between the two leading contenders is scheduled for Sunday, May 7.
- Surveys show Macron beating Le Pen by a 20- to 30-point margin.