The Atlantic Sentinel is a transatlantic opinion website, founded and edited by Nick Ottens. Our mission is to help American readers make sense of European politics and vice versa.
You can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Consult the contact information page for details.
- The Atlantic Sentinel resists sweeping change. We believe the center must hold and that progress is made incrementally.
- We value individual liberty as well as a sense of belonging and believe the challenge in our politics is finding a balance between those needs.
- We are confident free enterprise and free trade have proven themselves over dirigisme and protectionism, but we see a role for the state in providing for the common good.
- We recognize that states act in their own interests, but we don’t accept that international relations are a zero-sum game. We support liberal institutions that regulate the affairs of nations.
The Atlantic Sentinel has endorsed:
- Jon Huntsman in America’s Republican presidential primary in 2012;
- Angela Merkel in Germany’s 2013 election;
- John Fredrik Reinfeldt and his Moderate Party in Sweden’s 2013 election;
- Narendra Modi and his Bharatiya Janata Party in India’s 2014 election;
- David Cameron and Nick Clegg in the United Kingdom’s 2015 election;
- Mariano Rajoy’s People’s Party and Albert Rivera’s Citizens in Spain’s 2015 election;
- Hillary Clinton in America’s 2016 election;
- Emmanuel Macron in France’s 2017 election;
- The Liberal Democrats and Scottish Conservatives in Britain’s 2017 election; and
- The liberal Free Democrats in Germany’s 2017 election.
We also called on the British to vote to remain in the European Union in their 2016 referendum.
We have a weekly newsletter. Click here to subscribe.
Click here to learn more about submitting a story or op-ed.
© 2018 Atlantic Sentinel. All rights reserved. No material from this website may be published, rewritten or redistributed without permission. Which we usually give, but please ask first.